Friday, 16 July 2010

Jehovah - Jireh: The Lord Who Provides

There are many names given to God which describe his attributed, one of those is Jehovah Jireh

Jehovah - Jireh: The Lord Who Provides
Genesis 22

1. Read the text carefully and answer the following questions.
a. What was the setting for the revelation of this name of God?
b. What made this especially difficult for Abraham? See Genesis 15:1-6Genesis 21:1-6Romans 4:18-22.
c. Did Abraham really think he was going to have to take the life of his son Isaac? Genesis 22:5Hebrews 11:17-19
d. How was this story something like the story of Jesus and the offering of Calvary? See Genesis 22:2, 5, 6-9.
The Revelation of the Name Jehovah-JirehGenesis 22:12-14. The meaning of this name is The Lord Who Provides. The name is literally, The Lord Who Sees, or The Lord Who Will See To It. This is what we long for when we have a need that is personal and special; One who will see to our needs and provide for us. This is what Jehovah-Jireh means; the Lord Who will see to it that my every need is met. One Who knows my need because He sees. One Who is able to meet my need in just the right time as He did for Abraham, and One Who can meet it fully. For Abraham, it was the ram caught in the thicket that was offered in Isaac's place. For us it is whatever we need.
2. Look up the sample verses and see the bountiful provision the Father has made for you and me. Write the meaning of each verse.

The name Jehovah-Jireh is a name that is crucial for us today as we seek to know the Father. It is a name that assures us that our Heavenly Father is able to provide any need we have. Trust Him for that!

Matthew 7:8-12

8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
 9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


The key to this verse for me is in verse 11. "How much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ASK HIM! God has shown me that I need to ask him more and rely on his provision. I began preparing for this mission trip by asking the congregation at the church for help. I required homes for the YP to stay in, It did not happen, then I asked them for sleeping bags, and I got 7 I required 29. The Sunday before they were due to arrive, people we asking me what I was going to do, my reply, Ask God, he knows what I require. So i did just that. On the Wednesday I got a text from a friend at another church, which said. I here you need sleeping bags, we have 25 for you, come get them. 

Many people have come to me on this mission trip to ask what I need, many have said just ask US, we will help. It has been difficult not to take up there offer to Ask for help, I have not even asked my wife Jennifer for help. However, I have Asked the my Father in Heaven. Our provision has been met, offers to provide dinner have been provide by David and Eleanor Taylor, Ken and Evelyn Short and my Jennifer has also pitched in. Offers to was and dry towels and deliver leaflets.  

I have on the prompting of the Spirit engaged with other youth leaders who have risen to the challenge and provided support in distributing leaflets, and to whom I owe them a great debt of gratitude. I love you guys and gals you are truly a remarkable bunch and faithful servants of Christ. I salute you all.

I will write a full blog on my experiences once this mission is over..... Tonight the remaining YP will write about their experiences


No comments:

Post a Comment